Woodthorpe Huffers and Puffers is affiliated to England Athletics. We ask that people who run with us pay a modest annual fee to the club, which covers our public liability insurance and admin fees. We are happy for potential new members to come down to Thackerays Lane Recreation Ground to meet us to find out what we do.
The club is run by the members with many members taking on roles and responsibilities, there are no paid members of staff.
Membership has many indirect benefits, not least that you feel part of a group who encourage and motivate each other to accomplish more than they thought they were capable of doing.
We often run in the countryside, which is great fun. We are a sociable group of people; we meet the first Wednesday of every month at The Vale pub for a club get together, after the Wednesday evening run.
Other activities we have enjoyed are meals out, cinema trips, pub quizzes, pamper evenings and a rounders tournament.
Membership is £10 for non competitive runners this year or £25 for a competitive licence, which amongst other things may entitle you to reduce entry fees to running events, such as the Robin Hood Half, The Great North Run and many 10k races. Please ask for more information about the difference between the two types of membership.
Some of the benefits of the £25 competitive licence are detailed below; full details are available from England Athletics
Once you are a registered athlete you will be sent a competition licence by England Athletics.
Some examples of the services England Athletics provide to athletes are:
• Discounted road race entry for registered members of affiliated clubs
• £5 voucher for specialist retailer Sweatshop for registered members of affiliated clubs with a further 10% discount on subsequent purchases.
• Providing athletes with access to support services to improve their training and conditioning
• Working with UK Athletics to bridge the gap between potential and performance
• Subsidised training events for club members
• Entry benefits for major road races and competitions.