Whether you want to get fitter, run for your mental health, or simply be more social, there’s a place for you at Woodthorpe Huffers and Puffers. We welcome people of all abilities and appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere on their fitness journey.
The club is run by the members with many people taking on official roles and responsibilities, as well everyone doing their part to support each other. There are no paid members of staff.
The club is affiliated to England Athletics. We ask that people who run with us to pay a modest annual fee to the club. This covers our public liability insurance and other admin fees.
Membership has many indirect benefits, not least that you feel part of a group that encourage and motivate each other to accomplish more than they thought they were capable of doing. You can find out more about membership below.
As well as running on the local roads and parks, we often run in the countryside, which is great fun.
We’re a sociable group of people and have a regular club get together on the first Wednesday of every month at The Vale pub, after the Wednesday evening run. Other activities we have enjoyed are meals out, cinema trips, pub quizzes, pamper evenings and a rounders tournament.
Membership is £10 for non-competitive runners this year or £26 for a competitive licence, which amongst other things may entitle you to reduced entry fees to running events, such as the Robin Hood Half, The Great North Run and many 10k races. Please ask for more information about the difference between the two types of membership if you’re not sure.
Some of the benefits of the £26 competitive licence are detailed below. Full details are available on the England Athletics website.
Once you are a registered athlete you will be sent a competition licence by England Athletics.
Some examples of the services England Athletics provide to athletes are:
• Discounted road race entry for registered members of affiliated clubs
• £5 voucher for specialist retailer Sweatshop for registered members of affiliated clubs with a further 10% discount on subsequent purchases.
• Providing athletes with access to support services to improve their training and conditioning
• Working with UK Athletics to bridge the gap between potential and performance
• Subsidised training events for club members
• Entry benefits for major road races and competitions